2.02.2012

Tutorial: Canvas Earring Holder

Especially since starting my 52 Weeks of Handmade Earrings project, I have realized I need a better storage solution for my earrings.  Up until now, they were just in a drawer, hopefully pairs were close to each other.

I came up with a better solution:



Canvas Earring Holder Tutorial



Materials:

  • Canvas
  • Tissue Paper
  • Mod Podge
  • Scissors
  • Lace or Ribbon
  • Hammer
  • Nails
  • Floral Wire
 
Step #1

Prepare your canvas.  I don’t have photos of what I did because I had already started this for a different project when I had the idea for the earrings holder.

I used a 8” x 10” canvas, though in the future I would use a larger canvas to fit more earrings (I used what I had around.)

To get the effect above, I used tissue paper.  I just added a thick layer of Mod Podge to the entire canvas and around the sides. 

I crinkled the tissue paper and started placing it on the canvas, wrinkling it and places as I went along.  If you happen to rip it, just add more tissue paper.  You won’t even notice when you’re done.

{update} I did a video for a Canvas Necklace Holder and showed how I did the tissue paper on the canvas.  It's at the beginning of the video.


You can see how I went all the way around the canvas edges.


 Then let the canvas dry completely. 

Once it’s dry, trim any excess tissue paper.
 
Step #2


Cut out several pieces of lace or ribbon.  Cut it to fit across the canvas with extra to wrap around the back and be secured in the back.

I cut out 6 pieces, but ended up only using 5 of them.  When designing, consider your earring collection.  I have a lot of dangly earrings, so I need more room between rows of earrings.


Step #3


Take the first piece of ribbon or lace and pull around the back.  Hammer a nail through the lace or ribbon into the wood from the canvas.  Attach both sides. 

Make sure that your nails are not longer than the thickness of the canvas or they will poke out of the front.

 
(View from the front.)

Step #4
Continue securing all the ribbon and lace.  Trim off the excess ribbon or lace.

 Step #5


Hammer in 2 more nails toward the top of the canvas.  Don’t hammer them in all the way.  This will secure the wire to hang the earring holder.


Step #6


Cut off a length of floral wire and twist around the nails on each side.



Step #7


 Hang up, fill up with earrings and enjoy your organized earrings!!


 




Like my tutorials?  Sign up for my FREE tutorial newsletter!  When you sign up, you'll get a free Hand sewn Dotee Doll Tutorial!  Plus, you'll get my free tutorials (like this one) right in your inbox in an easy-to-read PDF version (and you'll get it first!) plus lots of free information!
Sign up for the Emerging Creatively Tutorial Newsletter.

Totally Tutorials Blog

4 comments:

Asiek =} said...

Dziękuję za tutorial =}
Fantastyczny pomysł!
Pozdrawiam cieplutko z Polski =}

http://moja-koniczynka.blogspot.com/

Mariângela Maciel said...

Oi amiga
Ficou sensacional, obrigada por partilhar.

Fique com Deus!
bjs

Emily @SweetlyScrapped said...

How cute! I really like this. And it's something that I feel like me and my daughter can do together which is a bonus! :) Thank you

MAKIN said...

i loveeeeee it :)