6.09.2011

Shopping Local and the Moravians


I think I’ve mentioned that I now live in sweet town of Lititz, Pennsylvania

Lititz has a rich history and it’s been preserved in many buildings around town.  Over the weekend we visited the Lititz Museum and Johannes Mueller House.  The Mueller house has been preserved and features pieces from 1792.

I’m not going to give you a full history lesson of Lititz here, although if you are interested, you can find more about it here.  One thing I did find it fascinating that the Moravian church (who founded the town) controlled everything about the resident’s lives from where they shopped to whom they married.

I don’t like people telling me what to do, so I’m not sure that I would have fared well when Lititz was first forming.  I did really like one of the rules, though.

If it’s available in Lititz, you MUST buy it in Lititz. 

If you can’t get it in Lititz, then you must stay as local as possible.

I don’t think this should be a requirement or law per se, but I do think it is a good rule to live by, generally speaking. 

Do you shop like the Moravians? 

No comments: