10.27.2011

Design - A - Doll!


I have been making dolls for quite a little while now and I love it.

Things I love about rag dolls:
  • I love picking out the fabric for their outfits
  • I love embellishing their outfits.
  • I love reusing old clothes or using up fabric scraps that would go to waste to make something so sweet and cool.
  • I love it when little girls love my zombie dolls - I love that they are so cool that they know that they are zombies!
My favorite memory was when my nephew asked me for a boy zombie doll, which I made him for his birthday. 

You see, I made my own pattern so I change my own pattern all the time.  I only made girls up until that time.  Caleb wants a boy, I made him a boy!

(He loved it, by the way!)

That's the cool thing about this tutorial, too.  There is a pattern included.  But I take you step-by-step through making a doll from actually designing and drafting a pattern!  It's completely customizable.

You can use any fabric - even old clothing.  Make memory dolls to remember those who have passed.  Use your children's favorite clothing that doesn't fit them anymore.  The ideas and possibilities are really endless!


Skills:

You need to know how to sew.  I am a self-taught sewer and I only really learn new sewing skills as they are required for me to finish a project.  You'll need to know how to sew in a straight line and go around a curve for the head.  You'll have to hand-sew the head closed.

You'll need: 
  • Sewing machine
  • Thread
  • Needle
  • Embroidery floss and needle OR paint (for face)
  • Fabric - for body and hair (I often use felt for hair)
  • Buttons (for zombie doll)
  • Any embellishments for your doll - lace, ribbon, etc.
  • Stuffing - poly fiberfill
With this tutorial eBook you'll learn how to design a doll, draft the pattern and put it all together.  You'll also get a pattern (like my zombie dolls) to help you if you get stuck.

You'll want to make dolls over and over again!

You get all of this for $15!

I know you can do this!  Come out of your cocoon and emerge creatively!

No comments: