5.10.2010

Know when to walk away....

know when to run!

Sometimes you have the very best intentions, are completely prepared, drive 2 1/2 hours.....and the wind comes.

So, Saturday was my big return to my hometown to do a craft show.  :)  I was all prepared with lots of jewelry, new business cards, pamphlets, etc.  We loaded our little car to the brim and drove the 2 1/2 hours from Lancaster to Hughesville, PA to my hometown.  I was nervous because they were calling for rain for Saturday and it was an outdoor event, but often there is rain in the forecast and it ends up being gorgeous anyway.  

At around 3 am I heard the thunderstorm.  At 7 am I got up and it was still raining....but, I was at the very least going to go and see what was going on at the show.  By the time I checked in it had stopped raining.  Then the sun came out and it was beautiful!

I was all set for the perfect day!

Then, about 20 minutes later, the winds started.  At first it was just an annoying and frustrating wind.  I hate wind, but I made some adjustments, anchored down some light things and thought I had it under control.

Then the REAL wind started.  Almost everything flew off of one table.  All my earrings were in the parking lot, another vendor's tent flew (no damage, it didn't go that far).  Thank goodness my mom's best friend happened to get there just then to help me!  (I had sent my boyfriend home and my mom was coming in to sit with me....this all happened when I was alone thought.)  I was panicked, but we held down the tent and started grabbing stuff.  

Then I heard this was just the start of it and the wind was going to get worse.  I made the decision to leave.  

Sometimes you have to admit defeat at outdoor craft shows.

Rain, I can deal with.  Wind, no.

Sorry to those who came out to see me but missed me!!  (I would be happy to come and do a home show in your house sometime if you are in the Hughesville or Muncy area...or Lancaster or York.  Just contact me!)

2 comments:

Renée T. Habashy said...

Bummer! The wind was over-the-top this weekend, it's true. Glad nothing was damaged, though!

B.B. Bellezza said...

It ended up being a really fun day with my mom and boyfriend, and later my dad, so it was a great day. Just not very profitable. :( And I know I disappointed a few people who had been waiting to see my stuff in person. But, what can I do?