1.14.2009

Handmade Christmas, Part III

Coasters

I found a great tutorial for making coasters from ceramic tile on the Spotted Sparrow Blog.

I made one set with cool graphic scrapbook paper and the other set ended up as a dud, but I am using them in my studio. I was using a photo from a Georgia O'Keefe calender, and I guess it didn't work well, or I didn't get the bubbles out very well. I made another set from the Georgia O'Keefe calender that actually turned out beautifully, but I didn't get a picture of them.

The only thing I did differently on my coasters from the tutorial is that I added a peice of felt to the bottom to make sure they didn't scratch the furniture. I am pretty sure they wouldn't have anyway, but my in-laws just re-did their living room and have new furniture, so I didn't want to take a chance.

The other thing that you have to really watch is that you don't get dust or fuzz on the coasters while they are drying. I don't know if I was just up to a crafting frenzy and stirring up all kinds of fuzz and dust or what in my studio, but the very first set I did ended up with some fuzzies sealed in. They went into the "dud" box, too.

I got the tiles from the Habitat for Humanity Restore. I just cleaned them up and did the project.

I expect I will be making more coasters with a lot more creativity. They are a fun project.

No comments: