5.14.2011

What's Your Cause?


I don't precisely remember when I started to be concerned with saving the Earth.  I remember being little and crushing soda cans with one of those crushers that my dad screwed to the wall.  I thought it was fun.  I remember picking up trash in parks in girl scouts.  I liked my park to be clean, but I don't know that I thought of it as saving the Earth.

Today at the Aaron's Bookstore garage sale (still going on tomorrow, too!) I picked up the book 50 Simple Things Kids Can Do to Save the Earth.  I remember this book from when I was young.  It reminded me of something I did back then to save the Earth, and still do today.  It was my cause, if you will. 

Snip Six-Pack Rings.

I don't know when the last time I actually even saw a six-pack ring, honestly.  I do know that if I see them, I pick them up and cut or rip 'em apart.  

It's the first eco-friendly thing that I did that I decided on myself.  Sea life was dying and I was going to help save them.  I would pick them up off the ground anywhere we went.  If I saw them in the garbage, I would pull them out and rip them apart.  I would tell anyone who listened that they should do the same.

Do you remember when you first were concerned with saving the Earth?  What was your cause?

No comments: