2.24.2012

Tutorial: Bracelet Made from old Slides


Recently a lot of slides have come into my life.  Lancaster Creative Reuse seems to have a never-ending supply of them from an Art History department.  Then I also recently came across a bunch that belonged to a widower without any family.  They would have been thrown out.

Where you can find slides:  estate sales, garage sales, thrift stores, auctions.  Just keep your mind and eyes open and you'll find them!  

Supplies and Materials:

(what on earth is going on here?!?)
  • Slides (I used 5)
  • 7 mm jump rings (22)
  • Lobster clasp
  • 2 pairs of pliers

Step #1

I didn't take a photo, but I removed the slides from the protectors.  Sometimes they are the plastic protectors.  Keep those!  You can find so many other things to do with them!  These were the cardboard and they were pretty destroyed when I got the slides out.

Step #2
Connect the slides together with 2 jump rings, 1 in each corner.

I used 5 slides.  You may not need as many.  You can also add more jump rings and use less slides.

Step #3
On the end slides make a chain of 3 jump rings on each corner.

Step #4

Connect the 2 chains with another jump ring.

Step #5

Do steps #3 and #4 on the other end.  When you add the final jump ring, add the lobster clasp to it before closing.

Step #6

Enjoy your unique bracelet!


If you need some extra help with jump rings or want to make more unique jewelry, check out my How to Make Extraordinary Jewelry from Ordinary Objects Workshop (a/k/a How to Make Hardware Jewelry Workshop.)  Available for purchase + instant download in my Craftsy Store.

No comments: